Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I'm a Producer Now!

In less than a week I will be producing my first… anything. You are currently skimming over the blog of the Producer for the unwritten, uncast Two-Bit Pictures’ short “Unnamed 2011 Providence 48 Hour Film Project 4-7 Minute Movie”. (I really wish that I could have said that instead of writing it. It sounded so epic in my mind.)

That’s right; we’re at it again. Two-Bit Pictures is taking on another 48 Hour Film Project (48HFP) and this time it’s in Providence. Check out my previous entries about our Boston 48HFP adventure below (or start by clicking here!).

So, yup, less than a week away. By this time, the more experienced teams already have SAG actors ready and waiting (and plotting how they will sabotage each other in order to get the better roles), seasoned crew packing their gear (and then unpacking it and checking that they've got everything... and then repacking it), more than a handful of locations for shooting (w/the paperwork already filled out), a composer waiting (his or her fingers patiently waiting over the keys of their choice), and a full editing suite (the editor is already chained to the table with nothing but energy drinks, hostess cupcakes, and a bucket to pee in). They are also, of course, still turning away potential actors and other crew who then, in utter embarrassment or just depression (because these teams are just so awesome), commit whatever form of suicide best fits their occupation (actors will be dramatic about it and crew’s suicides usually have to do with gaff tape and electrical cords). (But seriously, people put a lot of time, planning, and effort into the 48HFP and in some cases teams really have to turn people away.)

We aren’t too far behind schedule and are much better off than we were the first time, before we really knew what we were getting in to. We have a schedule, set writers, a director, editor, Producer, and have set up Facebook groups for a Brainstorming session as well as working on the movie itself (which we did have for Boston but there is more info this time around). You can check out the links as well as more info about the Boston project here. We are still looking for help with brainstorming, actors, some places to shoot (working on it), and someone to do music, as well as other miscellaneous crew. Any help we can get is appreciated and you don’t necessarily need to be in the Providence/RI area to participate. Leave a comment below or visit our Facebook pages for more info.

How do I know so much, you ask? It's part of my job!... What is my job? Well, you should already know – I say it in the first sentence. Then again, I already accepted the fact that you are probably just skimming the post so you may have missed it. I’m the Producer! So what will I actually be doing? In the traditional sense the Producer is “the man”. He or she puts a lot of money, time, and effort into a project which correlates to them getting a lot of power over everyone. Over time more and more types of Producers started being used so the title of “Producer” can now mean a bunch of different things. Try Googling “Producer” or “What does a Producer do?” and you’ll get a ton of different definitions. Now-a-days one Producer may put in the money and get a studio to buy into the project, another Producer will take control of the creative aspects of the movie, another Producer will lead the day-to-day activities on the set, another may have control over the script, and another may help with disputes between cast, crew, the director, and the studio (and another…, and another…, and another… you get the point, right?).

So with all of these Producer definitions, which one do I fall under? Well, I’m not the team leader and I didn’t pay the entrance fee so I’m not the 1st kind. The creative aspects will be covered by our Director/Team Leader/Editor and Camera Operator/Cinematographer with ideas from others more than welcome so I’m not that kind either. I suppose that I may be a combination of the last two on my list; I’ll be the babysitter, getting everyone in the cast and crew whatever they need while making sure that the schedule is followed and things are getting done well. I’m sure that I’ll also be working crew and acting so maybe I will be more like that all-seeing, all-knowing Producer figure of legend…

Back to Producing I go! I've got a lot of spreadsheets to make and Fruit Roll-Ups to procure.

No comments:

Post a Comment